We weren't planning to buy a house that weekend, but we knew it was a once in a life time house. Even though the plaster walls were falling down, and only a toilet in one of the 3 bathrooms worked, it didn't matter. After all, the house was built in 1927. We could live without air conditioning and fix it up over time. And then the inspections uncovered lead paint, mold, asbestos, collapsed galvanized pipes throughout. The entire home had nob and tube wiring. We were way beyond our comfort zone but we couldn't walk away.